Saturday, March 31, 2012

Swimming Lessons

I took the boys to a new swimming school in town.  I was impressed that this particular school didn't put children in classes according to age, they grouped them according to skills.  I took the boys in for an assessment to see what class they'd be in...if we could swing the fees.  Munchkin did well and achieved a blue Swordy certificate.  The Swordy certificates are generally their pre-kindergarten/kindergarten groups.  They were surprised by Little Dude who they assumed would be in one of the Swordy groups.  He achieved a regular pink certificate.  Which is one up from their bottom regular certificate.  He LOVES swimming and obviously all that practicing last summer at Grandma and Poppa B's has certainly paid off.  The fees were more than they are at the Y, but I really got a good feeling there and appreciate this program which is new here in Canada.  It's from Australia, and they've just opened their first school here.  Students are assessed on an ongoing basis and awarded certificates as soon as they have achieved the requirements.  They celebrate small successes.  The boys left that day with the certificates of the levels they achieved during their assessment, a sucker each and a little tattoo each.  While Munchkin had fun, Little Dude was over the moon and has talked about swimming lessons nonstop since.

No comments: