Thursday, March 1, 2012

10 year project

SO....I started this quilt 10 years ago while I was in university.  I lived each summer with a friend's mother while I worked at a local brewery.  (No, I didn't brew...I drove a forklift truck around the warehouse taking skids off the line with 84 cases of beer on them and stacking them 3 high in long rows.  Occasionally I got to load trucks, and that was kind of fun.  It was actually the most fun, and best paying summer job I ever had.  I kept it for the rest of the time I was in university.)  My friend's sister was home for the summer and she was quilting, and my friend's mom subscribed to a quilting magazine and I felt inspired.  So I picked a pattern for a lap quilt and thought I'd make one for my Mom.  I bought fabric, washed, ironed, and painstakingly cut out little squares only to cut them again into little tiny triangles.  I got some sewed together and was happy.  Then I got some more sewed together and I wasn't quite as happy-I hadn't read the instructions clearly and I'd put it together wrong.  Then the summer was over.  I packed it up and went back to school, figuring I'd finish it at Christmas.  That didn't happy.  Then one year I took all the pieces and pinned them in place on top of a blanket, desperate to see what the finished product SHOULD look like.  Then I rolled up the blanket and put it away for a future day.  Then I decided to stop carrying the quilt around in a blanket and I took all the pieces off again and packed them away.  I got married, had 3 children, moved a couple of times.  AT last this year I finished it.  10 years in the making - and it was late for Christmas!  *tsk, tsk*  But it was done!
 Ahhh those tiny triangles...the bane of my existence...but they look good now!
 Sprout thought it looked pretty good....and he's coordinated....country coloured quilt, country baby outfit!

 Loved the orange and yellowy triangles. 

No comments: