Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Today has been GOOD...with the exception of Big E returning to work away from the city.  We'll see him again in 5 days.  :(  But other than that, things have been great.  My chairs arrived today...I'll try to take a picture and post it later.  Someone was moving and desperate to get rid of them, and I was desperate for some...so we were a perfect match.  They look great and the kids are enjoying trying them out.




For homeschool today we made a cake.  Vanilla was requested, they did the work.  I was the guide on the side.  We also made the icing to go with it all and it's some of the best icing ever.  Really delicious turn out.  Thinking about our project today....it sounds so easily flippant to say we "made a cake" and if I left it at that people might think we're one of those families who just homeschools on the side...no plan, no teaching, yada yada.  BUT, we read the recipe, we read the measurements, and talked about them.  We discussed basic baking principles and safe use of a mixing machine.  Then we talked about time and temperature with the oven.  That's a fair bit covered in that little bit of time.  And hopefully it will STICK...or at least some of it. 

No comments: